This is my favorite time of year – from Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day, it’s the season for celebrating family, friends, renewal, and everything we’re grateful for. That also makes it a great time to connect with others in our community by donating time or money to local volunteer organizations.
Whether it’s serving a Christmas meal, providing clothing or shelter, or simply making someone smile…here are a few ideas to find local volunteering opportunities during the holidays:
- Provide meals to the hungry with Meals on Wheels, Ronald McDonald House, or your local food bank
- Contact a nearby homeless shelter, women’s shelter, hospital, or hospice program
- Help give someone the gift of a home through Habitat for Humanity. Many Habitat chapters, including those in Dallas, Houston and New York City, have green building initiatives.
- Offer company and comfort to people in institutions like nursing homes through The Holiday Project
- Donate to a local coat drive through One Warm Coat
- Find an opportunity to volunteer for whatever your passionate about with one of these organizations:
November 21, 2011